Monday, March 25, 2013

Over the Weekend

We really didn't do a whole lot this weekend. Well, I guess if you can count a Saved by the Bell marathon and a mini Heroes marathon something I guess we did a whole lot.

Oh! I made clam chowder! I'm used to thick chowder so I was a little disappointed at first. But then after I tried it, I was sold. Obviously the mister liked it because I have no photographic evidence to show that I even made soup from scratch. I pinned it if anyone wants to try out the recipe for themselves. I give it a big thumbs up. I doubled the bacon and next time I'll add more potatoes.

When I woke up on Saturday, I got an email from my aunty that my grandpa had a heart attack a few days ago and was in the hospital. It was the first Seester and I heard about it! Since she's deployed and I'm in Italy, we spent all day worrying and waiting until it was daytime in Hawaii to try Facebooking and calling our family. Turns out my grandpa is a badass. He felt the beginnings of the heart attack, recognized what was going on, and called 911. He has some other issues going on, but for now he looks okay. Seester and I were reassured by our cousins, aunty, and dad that our grandpa seems to be weak, but okay. He does have a few issues that we are praying will clear up.

I'm telling you, I was stressing out! The mister is about to deploy so I'm not leaving here until he leaves. I was just praying that Grandpa could hold on until I could get home. This was an eye opener though. I'll probably fly home later this year (depending on his recovery) just to spend some time with him. He's my only grandparent and I want to get all the quality time in that I can while it's possible.




Linking up with Monday Morning Gossip and This Weekend I....

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's scary to get news like that! Just last year my grandpa had a severe heart attack, and I found out on Facebook, so it was so confusing to try to determine what really happened. And then I found out through Facebook that my Mom was coming back to the U.S.....and it ended up just being a crazy month as he had surgery and my Mom and two siblings came to stay and take care of him. He told me at the time, "This is why I always tell you, Rachel, never get old!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to get bad news when you're far away. I hope you get to spend some time with him soon.

    Stopping by from Leeann's linkup. I pinned the clam chowder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow. ...the good thing is that he recognized what was happening early and got to the hospital right away, that is a miracle right there! I hope that you'll get to spend that time with him and enjoy each others company! :)
    Saved by the bell marathons are where it is at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy your grandpa is ok! And I'll definitely check out this chowder recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad your grandpa is ok. How scary! Also, a Saved by the Bell marathon is definitely doing something productive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I hope your grandpa recovers quickly. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that picture. I'm sorry you got such scary news. It's no fun to hear something like that and be so far away, unable to reach him. That's the one thing that really bothers me about military life- I want to be with my family when something happens. Prayers for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete